Sunday, October 2, 2016


This week the $100 challenge is doing great. I’ve struggled to manage enough time to work on the project with my assignments. As I write this at 6:41PM on a Sunday Night I have struggled to complete my assignments on time. Working to 11PM every night isn’t good enough. I’ll need to somehow work more hours to get all my work done, I’m planning for 16 hour days during the week and I’ll have to extend that to the weekend. That would put me at 8 hours at work and 8 hours after work for school. Coupled with more time I’ll need to manage my time better. I’ll need to get right into the business of my assignments and not waste time. Another big problems is paying attention to deadlines. For the second time in this class I missed a discussion post that was incorrectly marked as due on the following Monday but should have been completed on this weeks Tuesday, and then allow for three days of follow up posts. I had to give up time on Saturday, time I had set aside to work on my business to complete a trivial assignment that should have been completed on Tuesday. On Saturday I was still able to list a few more bowls on the site and do a little a little sharing on facebook.  Tim’s Wood Bowls now has six bowls listed, it wasn’t the 10 bowls I had hoped, but I’ve set aside a few bowls for a few interested customers. If these sales go through I could likely generate a hundred dollars in profit this week, but it remains to be seen. I’m slightly discouraged about the etsy site, because of all the fees involved for listing and selling. Also shipping has been a pain. After taking a look at shipping, it seems that their shipping rates are aren’t working correct. Most of the shipping prices are overpriced, and even with the overcharging, the shipping prices were still inaccurate. For example the first bowl charged $5.54 on etsy but the actual cost was $6.80. I could add more to shipping but that would just lead to overpriced shipping problem. My brother who lives in Arizona came to visit over the weekend pointed out that it would cost over $15 to ship a $15 bowl to his address. This would end up discouraging customers to buy our bowls, when they were expecting to pay around $15 for a bowl but were charged twice that. We came to the conclusion that the prices were over the top for shipping, so we decided to change our strategy. Instead of charging for the bowl and shipping we would offer free shipping, allowing for the price displayed on the first page of the site to be the final price. This works out for us because we have a large supply of wood for the bowls so really the only expense is the shipping and whatever fees are charged by Etsy for listing and selling the bowl. In the end this should work out fine if we can keep the shipping price down and it will help give the customer an honest, square price.

No comments:

Post a Comment